Tuesday, May 13, 2014

SIP client for using VOIP account on Fedora - Linphone

It has been long I used voip on my linux desktop, just used android app of phoneindia.com which does not have a windows phone support. Okay, I want to buy a Windows phone soon and was wondering is there any good working solution for it. Web searching lead me to a client called "Linphone" which seems to work for many and the developers seem to be actively improving it, which is a good sign (you can notice the change of negative comments to positive just after the new version release date).

I saw there is a linux desktop client and I started setting it up. I downloaded the latest code from their website and saw the README which listed some required packages like "libtool, intltool, belle-sip..." to name a few. I started installing the required ones using yum.



I could not find "belle-sip" package and then searched for it, realised that is also available as source using git clone and then did ./autogen.sh, ./configure which cried for "libantlr3c" package. Probably you can go on and resolve bits and pieces.

Suddenly, I thought let me do, "yum install linphone". Surprisingly there was a package available with dependency resolution. Once installed, I right away tried my account with voip512.com and it just worked! Pain-free. My desktop is Fedora 20 and the version of linphone installed through yum is 3.6.1! HTH.

1 comment:

  1. VoIP services are needed by many around the world. Here is an epic auto dialer software VT Dialer which will make your work easier than before, I bet.

    ReplyDelete