Monday, October 29, 2012

Gujarat Assembly Elections: what an occation!

Gujarat Assembly elections are set to be held from 13th to 17th December. Well what a magnificent time to be in Gujarat and it can never be any bigger! When I was a school kid, elections meant to me just for some school holidays but now when I am concerned about the country and especially the region where I grew up, its feels amazing to follow the news.

On one hand, Modi is preparing hard to become the fourth time Chief Minister of one of the fastest developing states contributing the most to the national economy. On the other side talks are taking strolls about him to take a bigger national role.

Last month I was in Trento, Italy and with some friends we were discussing the Modi (with passionate Dhaval talking about "Vikas" -> "Development" in Gujarat) about what can be his strategy this time to win.

In any case, the Assembly elections were never so interesting without Modi. I grew up in Gandhinagar - the capital of Gujarat where all these ministers live and do campaign very often. I remember last time when Modi set the stage just few meters away from my house and how the people gatherd! He is really an ear-candy! His typical outspoken, blunt and direct personal remarks take heart whether it can be Prime Minister of India, President of opposition party or Army Chief of Pakistan. This time in news I see Modi calling Prime Minister "Moun Mohan Singh" and Shashi Throor's wife "50-crore-rupee girlfriend"!! I can imagine how it will be in Gujarat and I miss it, hopefully when I am back to Gandhinagar this December, at least once I see him live.



On the other hand, If he fails this time which looks extremely difficult, it would be chaos in Gujarat, because the next CM will definietely not be able to keep up with the speed he has created. I have always be opposer of Modi and probably will be because of 2003 elections but I think the Time and Nation really needs some one like him. USA rejected his visa and he responded "I don't need visa of US but I want to see them taking visa of Gujarat.." and ironically in Gujarat Vibrant Summits many international delegates just queue up to invest. After running the state for last 3 terms cumulated to more than 10 years, Gujarat is all set to evaluate the government and it would really be make or break time for him. Lets see!

Update: He won the fourth time. From then, he has started addressing public in "Hindi", increased his visits and appearances in Delhi, there is excitement in BJP about him with outlook for 2014 national elections but there is agitation too over him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment